Treacys Carpets and Furniture

Shop online at Carpets, Timber, laminate and Vinyl floors, Mattresses, beds and bedroom furniture, dining room, sui...

Feile 2017 - Round up

19 June 2017

THE FEILE NA nGAEL: After months of preparation Feile 2017 rolled into Dunnamaggin on Friday afternoon when Ballyheigue GAA arrived at the club to a guard of honour provided by children from the national school dressed in Kilkenny and Dunnamaggin gear. As the players met their host families while enjoying some refreshments they were entertained by a challenge game between two sides from the school. It was then off to Glenmore that evening for our first two games. After the parade Dunnamaggin were put against the hotly fancied Finagllians in their first game. Dunnamaggin hit them for some early scores and in a real tough game came out winners 3-3 to 1-5. Next up was the host club Glenmore and a real titanic battle Glenmore eventually pulled away in the second half to win 3-6 to 1-2. Saturday morning arrived and the hurling action moved to Dunnamaggin where the home team played the team we were hosting Ballyheigue. The outcome of this game and other results would determine whether Dunamaggin advanced to the cup or shield, a fate which could be decided on scores conceded. Dunnamaggin stuck to their task and won the game and ensuring they conceded as little as possible 3-5 to 1-2. Then came the frantic phone calls to Glenmore to see how things were going there, alas results determined Dunamaggin were in the shield competition so it was off to Bagnelstown in the afternoon. Benbulben Gaels from Sligo were facing Dunamaggin in the quarterfinal. In the second day of scorching heat the lads but in a very business-like performance to win 7-6 to 1-5. Semi-finals beckoned on Sunday. But first on Saturday night both the visiting team and the host team and their families were treated to dinner and entertainment in the school hall where both clubs exchanged commemorative plaques. Sunday morning in Danesfort put Dunamaggin up against Wexford side St. James in the semi-final. The Dunamaggin boys were not about to let anybody stop them from reaching the final and they duly won 2-8 to 1-2 but who would we be facing in the final? Little did we know but the club we were hosting were having a titanic battle on the front pitch and clinched it by the narrowest of margins. It was all set for a repeat of the group game in St. John’s Park for the final. Dunnamaggin attacked this game with the usual business like attitude and three early points from Denis Walsh seemed to be setting us on our way. Ballyheigue however had been improving throughout the competition and had other ideas and put over three quick points of their own before Denis Walsh put over another point before half time. The Half time team talk seemed to do the trick and when Tom Lodge slotted a point Dunnamaggin got back into their rhythm. Shaun O’Keeffe then put over a 65 which was quickly added to by Jimmy O’Neill to send the shield to the Dunnamaggin Lads.  Denis Walsh jnr accepted the shield on behalf of his teammates and made the acceptance speech. The players then returned to Carroll’s of Knocktopher for the post-match meal where they were also presented with their medals. Well done to one and all on a super achievement. A special word of thanks all who helped in anyway. The field committee and bunting erectors who had the place looking fantastic, the Feile committee particularly Deidre Ryan and Tom Hickey who did massive work, the host families, the first aiders and water carriers, the management team of John Walsh, P.J. O’Keeffe, Mark Dowling and Denis Walsh and of course our brilliant players. The full panel is as follows: - Tom Buckley, Mark McEneaney, Aaron Moore, Ross O’Neill, Colin Fitzpatrick, Jimmy O’Neill, Joe Fitzpatrick, Shaun O’Keeffe, Mikey Thomas, Cathal Walsh, Denis Walsh, Craig Drennan, Aidan O’Neill, Tom Lodge, John Hayes, Sean Lawton, William Bruneian Ryan, Cathal Buckley, Killian Tallon, Nathan Lawlor, Ruairi Holden.